Friday 28 December 2012

Pride and Prejudice - The Game Review

From boardgamegeek.com
My husband is a dedicated gamer.  He loves games of all kinds - as long as there is strategy involved.  I prefer games that make you laugh and don't require a lot of brain power.  Would we find happiness in my latest Jane Austen acquisition, given to me for Christmas by my very thoughtful mother?

One begins the game by choosing two Pride and Prejudice characters.  This, in itself, is delightful.  There are eight characters to choose from including Darcy and Elizabeth, Charlotte and Mr. Collins, Jane and Bingley, and Lydia and Wickham.  The object of the game is to be the first to get your character couples to the wedding chapel first.  One achieves this by throwing dice, moving about the board game, collecting tokens, spending shillings and answering trivia questions from the novel.

I am very pleased to report that my husband was very engaged in this game and that my brother-in-law was a good enough to introduce his character with an English accent!  Although we had varying knowledge of the Pride and Prejudice, this did not seem to be a major stumbling block.  I found the Regency Cards most entertaining.  These might be considered "Chance" cards, where they can offer good or bad news for any of the players in the game.  They also include interesting information about Regency times.

Overall, I have to give this game 5 out of 5 stars for accuracy, enjoyability and attractiveness.  I can't wait to play again!  Find the game here: boardgamegeek

No comments:

Post a Comment